"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

-Oscar Wilde

Monday, June 30, 2008

How it all came to pass...

One of the key factors that struck me when I moved to Germany - was just how dog-friendly it was. (And still is.)

Coming from a country that has slowly over the years adopted an attitude that man's-best friend is best left at home, and preferably even there muzzled and restrained, I find it delightful how here - your dog is welcomed on the streets, can accompany you shopping, or out to dinner, and is even covered by your ticket on public transport.

Initially fighting homesickness, and spending way too much time alone, I became convinced that a dog would greatly enhance our lives. At the start of my second year here I desired a canine friend with fierce longing.

(A cat was out of the question. My beloved feline creature was still in Oz with my mum, too old and set in his garden-loving ways to ever adapt to inner-city German life. To casually acquire a second seemed callously disloyal.)

The Ger-Man was way more skeptical. But not completely opposed. We endlessly discussed the pros and cons. "We travel too much," said the Ger-Man. "We live on the fourth floor without a lift," he continued. "We like to sleep in," he said.

Eventually, he concluded: "A dog is an enormous commitment. It would completely change our lives. I really don't think we're ready for that much responsibility. How about we have a child instead?"

Yep, I kid you not... those were pretty much his exact words.

About 10 months later the Caspi-Man joined us and all thoughts of a dog were somewhat succeeded.

Over recent months, however, we've been revisiting the pet idea.

The Caspi-Man has always been extremely respectful of all animals, endlessly interested, and has now reached the age where (hopefully) a mutually beneficial relationship could develop. And as my beloved antipodean feline passed away a few years ago, the possibility of a kitten arose. (Unfortunately, as we still live on the fourth floor without a lift- a camel, the Caspi-Man's pet of choice, is somewhat out of the question. Besides which, I'm not sure there'd be room on the couch- let alone the bed- for the four of us.)

So, last Saturday, the newest member joined our family. He is small, gorgeous, cheeky, adorable, and I suspect by Wednesday, will be totally ruling our household.

And so it came to pass...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i want to see a pic of little oliver. do you know that my favourite brand of pussy cats is the blue british shorthair? just gorgeous!!
m. propism : )

pyjamamel said...

oh - Lady Mellypropism, I can promise you he is indeed gorgeous! And there will definately be photos to come. Even the Ger-Man is besotted!

Helen said...

Pretty please with sugar on top - a picture at your earliest convenience!

expat Germany
Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas