"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

-Oscar Wilde

Friday, August 8, 2008

Wagers:

I spent this afternoon in front of the television - mostly sobbing through- the absolutely, awe-inspiring spectacle that was the Olympic opening ceremony. As is my four yearly wont.

(Yes, well... I'll admit I'm prone to being easily emotionally moved. Often. Even a well crafted TV commercial can sometimes do it. It can be very embarrassing. I'm also one of those people you sometimes see slinking out of a movie theatre at 11pm wearing sunglasses.)

Beijing certainly surpassed all high expectations. And a rather clever move I felt, incorporating the 30 trillion or so fireworks. Not just an extravagant, beautiful, culturally- warranted, breath-taking display - but also a lingering excuse for dubious air quality for the next 16 days or so...


The Ger-Man and I have once again laid down the gauntlet - to bet on which of our respective lands will be higher in the final medal tally. As is our four yearly wont.

(The Ger-Man would like to recoup his four yearly losses by making this a bi-annual event - factoring in the winter Olympics - but until Australia can guarantee a few more Steven Bradburys - I'm not buying into that...)

Now, we just have to decide what the 2008 stakes will be. Any suggestions?

[And mum, before you write it- country of permanent future residence is not going on the table... :) ]

1 comment:

Helen said...

Perhaps litter tray duties for a month?

expat Germany
Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas